Today was the day. I've finally done it. I reached a milestone in my pregnancy. I said the words, "I'm" and "pregnant" together, in order, in one sentence. It wasn't, "We're going to have a baby," or, "We're going to be parents." I actually said, "I'm pregnant." And it felt pretty good.
The second milestone I reached today was using my pregnancy as an excuse to get out of something. I was giving H1N1 shots at the nursing home today, going to patient rooms, talking nice, and trying not to get bit. It was all going very smoothly until we reached a room with red caution signs posted around the door. My feet froze; a patient with MRSA (a very nasty bacteria that is tough to treat).
"Umm, I don't think I want to go in there. Can we get one of the staff nurses to do this one?"
"Why?"
"Doesn't he have MRSA?"
"Well, yeah...and?"
"Well, um, well, it's just that....um.........I'm pregnant." (aack! Did I really just say that?! Holy crap. Now what?)
"Oh, in that case, of course! You don't want to go in there! That would be terrible! So, when are you due? Have you picked out names? Have you told anyone? etc, etc, etc......." (Whew! That was easier than I thought it would be! In fact, that was great! This "I'm pregnant" thing could really come in handy...)
And that's the story of me reaching two pregnancy milestones in one day. The end.
P.S. I didn't get bit!
No comments:
Post a Comment