Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Grandparent names

Since my mom found out she was going to be a grandmother, she's been fretting over what her future grandchild will call her. She's concerned it will be much too confusing to have two Grandma K/Carols. I told her one can be Grandma K and the other Grandma C. Apparently she wasn't satisfied with that because a few weeks into the pregnancy she informed me she'd settled on being called Nana. It's what she called her dad's mom. The trouble is that her Nana became my Nana (great-grandmother) whom I remember as an OLD lady who wore a wig, twiddled her thumbs, and asked people how their bowels were doing. I told her she could not be called Nana.

Several weeks later she had another suggestion, "Oma." It's the German word for grandmother. (My mom's father's family was German.) That sounded like a good choice to me but of course I had to razz her a little.

"Oh, I thought maybe you'd choose Mee-ma, you know, like from the Carrie Underwood song?" (My mom is the BIGGEST Carrie Underwood fan ever.)

"And then Dad can be called Pee-pa!" *giggle, giggle*  

At this point my mom is looking at me in disgust.

"Or better yet, how about Poo-pa? Yeah, that's perfect! Josh and Ryan called him Uncle Poopie, it would just make sense for his Grandpa name to be Poo-pa!" *more giggling*

I don't even remember what her response was to this because I was giggling so hard, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't as amused as I. Needless to say, we haven't yet agreed on a name for my dad, but it sounds like Mom will be Oma. But I think Oma and Poo-pa sound pretty good. :)

Tolman Baby's Oma and Poo-pa

2 comments:

  1. Ompa is the german word for grandpa so maybe the baby can call him poompa. Seriously I wanted to be gamma but Tawny decided what I would be called. You are going to have a child with a mind of its own, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they talked about this on the radio the other day.... it is usually the grandchild that ends up coming up with the name for their grandparent. One of the DJ's said that their parent wanted to be called "Cool G".... it was shot down QUICKLY!!!!! *giggling* Oma and Ompa... almost like oompa, like oompa loompa. That would just give me nightmares of little orange men...... maybe not a good idea!

    Auntie Kriddi

    P.S. don't traumatize me with the memories of Nana's bowels... *runs off screaming shaking the images from her mind* giggle!!!!!

    ReplyDelete