Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Big Day!!

Today was the big day -- we got to see our Tolman Baby again! We had our "20 week survey" ultrasound at 8:00 am. Adam and I both woke up before our alarms and were out the door by 6:00 this morning! We weren't going to let anything (especially traffic) stand in the way of us and that ultrasound. We drug both Grandmas along and arrived by 7:35!



They got us in a little early and we got to gaze at our baby for over an hour. It was amazing! The ultrasound tech took measurements of everything; head, belly, kidneys, heart, stomach, bladder, femur, humerus, little hands...everything! And everything checked out perfectly. The kiddo is measuring at 21 weeks, 4 days - just one day small of my estimated due date. (Compared with 4 days small at the first ultrasound.)


One of the last details of the ultrasound was finding out the gender. At first baby kept the legs together and was too squirmy to see anything. But eventually toward the end of the appointment we got the right angle and could see very vividly that our baby is a girl!



Adam and I had both convinced ourselves we'd be having a boy and Adam had even referred to the baby as "he" for awhile. So we were both very surprised! Eventually Ad started saying things like, "Well, it'll be easier to dislike a girl's boyfriend than a boy's girlfriend." And, "Oh man, we're going to have to have slumber parties!" I could tell the next twenty years of his life were flashing in front of him in a panic.

Both Grandmas were very excited and enjoyed getting to see their granddaughter up close and personal. There was lots of frantic calling and texting to make sure all the friends and family were informed. We stopped by Babies R Us on the way home and each Grandma purchased a couple of outfits for the little one. She's going to be one well-dressed baby! It's going to take me awhile to get used to saying "she" instead of "it" but already it feels so much more personal and real to use the correct pronoun! We're excited to move forward with the nursery now. We're still choosing the perfect bedding and color scheme but I imagine we'll begin painting in the next couple of weeks!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on having such a fun, exciting day! Glad it all went well, and that everything is good with the little girl. Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great news and I love the pic of you getting the ultra sound too! How cool...can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a feeling!!!! Girls are just so much fun! Can't wait! I have time off in August around the due date - trying to make it down there for a four day weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see ballet and lots of dance classes in her future. :) I am so happy for you both. Also, nice blog scheme update to match your pronoun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was nice to share this moment and excitement with Oma Karol when we found out we were having a granddaughter! Our first for the both of us!!!

    Karol shared with me how she used to refer Jen when she was little as "cupcake!" So, I believe she is going to use the same cute nickname for our new granddaughter! I think that's sweet! On the other hand I think I will refer to our granddaughter as "my little corn dog!" It sounds fitting. What do you think, Mom & Dad? (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait - I'M GOING SHOPPING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete