Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Recent Happenings

Yesterday we had another doctor's appointment and another baby class. My mom also had an appointment in Boise yesterday so she met up with us for the doctor's appointment! I'm glad she did! It was fun for her to meet the doctor and all of that. My weight and blood pressure were both down from last appointment; total weight gain 23 lbs, bp 130/64 mmHg. Baby's heartbeat sounded great with a rate of 140 bpm (which is normal). She also grew the expected one week amount, although she's still measuring about a week behind. I asked the doctor if we could discuss her size a little more. My concern was that maybe the original due date was a week or two off and maybe her smaller size could also correlate with slower development. The doctor assured me this is not the case. Apparently the 8 week ultrasound that they do to estimate the due date is extremely accurate, like within 4 days. (Remember at ours the estimated due date was August 24th.)

Just to be sure though, we got to do an ultrasound! Yay! (This is also a reason I was glad Mom got to come along.) Everything checked out great on the ultrasound. She appears to be growing fairly proportionately and the doctor was pleased with what she saw. They estimated her current weight to be 5lbs 14oz. The only surprising thing they found at the ultrasound is that she's sitting in there upright (breech)! This little gal has just 4 weeks to flip over and get in the right position, otherwise she'll have to be delivered via C-section. After all these birthing classes we've been attending, I've been mentally preparing for a vaginal birth but hadn't really even considered the prospect of a C-section. So, that gives me one more thing to chew on for awhile. This whole Type A, 'must plan everything' personality type doesn't get along too well with childbirth. Unfortunately for me, it's Little Miss Tolman (not me) who will be deciding how and when she arrives. I suppose this is a good introduction to the rest of my life. :D

After our appointment, we attended a class called Baby Care Basics. They taught us how to bathe, swaddle, and change the baby. We learned a lot of do's and dont's and other basics about caring for a baby. It was informative but also intimidating. I'm hoping some of this stuff will come as instinct.

Well, I think that's about it for now. Next week we get to do another check on Baby Girl to see how she's positioned. I'll let you know what we find out. 

3 comments:

  1. Did you having any ultrasound pics to post??! :D Just had to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately we didn't get to bring any ultrasound pics home. She's so big now that they can't get her whole body all in one shot and they tried to get a face pic but she hid behind her arms. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww that's too bad - but at least she is getting bigger that is always a good sign :)

    ReplyDelete