Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Measurements

This week, the Tolmans learned the importance of measurements:

Lesson Number One:
At our doctor's appointment on Wednesday, Dr. McQuillan again measured my belly. Adam asked what the measurements meant. She explained that the distance from the pubic bone to the top of the uterus roughly corresponds in centimeters to the number of weeks gestation. I was measuring 28 cm which corresponded almost perfectly with my pregnancy progress of 28 weeks, 5 days.  It allows a quick way to check the fluid levels and growth of the baby without doing an expensive ultrasound at every appointment. We were pleased to hear that our baby girl is growing like she should be!

Lesson Number Two:
Today, Adam and his contractor friend Bob began replacing our old, outdated metal windows with the new, energy efficient vinyl windows we purchased several weeks ago. They started before 8:00 am and it seemed everything would go quickly. They cut out the old window in the baby's room and grabbed the new window to put in place. However, it didn't fit! In fact, it was six inches too tall! What?! It seems that the measurement of 41 inches was misread as 47 inches! That means all the windows we've had stacked neatly in our garage for weeks now are too big! As a result, this has turned into a much bigger job than orignally anticipated. In the end, it will be fine; bigger windows mean a better view out and more light in. Unfortunately, this quick little job has turned into a pretty big project! I'm doing my part by staying out of the way and not saying much. :) Here are a few pictures of the progress:

Old window cut out

Siding cut out to new size

Inside cut out to new size

New window is in!

And a quick Mulligan update:
He's fine! They sedated him to remove the hook, but I'm sure the whole process took less than 10 minutes. They pushed the hook through, cut off the barb, and pulled it out. He was a little groggy when I brought him home, but by the time we were home from work, he was back to his usual self. Yesterday he spent the whole day with Grandpa chasing balls, rolling in stinky stuff, and carrying around dead gophers.

3 comments:

  1. Swell - does that mean the curtain won't fit? You'll have to sew a ruffle on the bottom or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not sure yet. That was the first thing I thought of too! We may have to let the seam out at the bottom, or attach extra at the top. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How freakin' awesome is that! Now I have another thing to do before baby girl comes home. I think I might have to invest in a machine that slows down time or makes the days longer.

    ReplyDelete