Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Done

So I've reached the point where I'm ready to be DONE with pregnancy and move on to motherhood. I'm DONE with the smiling and nodding when people make inappropriate comments and I'm definitely DONE with the emotional, cleaning-obsessed crazy woman living inside of me.

I wish I could think of all of the stories of people saying weird things. They happen on a daily basis. These are some of the highlights.

As a man is picking up his prescription, "So, when are you gonna come fresh?"
Me:  . . . *crickets* . . . "Um, well . . . wait, what?!"
(According to Roger this man grew up on a dairy. Apparently when a heifer (a first time mom cow) comes into her milk for the first time it's called "freshening" or something like that. I don't know if freshening is a sign that the baby is about to arrive or if it happens after the baby arrives. Either way, it's not something you say to your pharmacist!)

From our #1 Strange Lady patient, "So, are you excited to be a mom? You're having a girl right? Oh, that will be so nice! When I had my babies..." and on and on and on she goes... Then, in a whisper she asks, "Are you going to nurse?"
Me: 'Do I really have to answer this?' "Well, I'm planning to give it a try."
Her: (Still whispering) "So, have you been practicing?"
Me: 'What?! No, she didn't just ask me this. Ugh! Couldn't the phone ring or something right now? Please make this conversation stop.' 
At this point I think I was just staring at her. I don't think I said anything. She must have taken that as a "No" because she then went on to explain how to do so. I'll leave that part out.

And from a random acquaintance: "So, you ready to get rid of that thing yet?"
Me: Does he think I'm giving her up for adoption or something? "Um, well, I'm excited to meet her!"



And that cleaning-obsessed crazy woman I was telling you about? She started showing her face a week or two ago, but she came out in full force this weekend. She caused me to do things I've never done before:

- Scrub the inside of the doghouse with Pine-Sol. (Yes, I crawled inside the doghouse 9 months pregnant when it was about 100 degrees outside.) I also washed all of the dog blankets and bed covers and vacuumed the kennel. Crazy Lady's thinking: Other people might have to feed the dogs for us while we're away at the hospital. I wouldn't want them thinking we don't take good care of our dogs.

- Scrub the baseboards in the hallway with Softscrub. Crazy Lady's thinking: We may be having lots of visitors. They'll all be very concerned with the cleanliness of our home. We can't have them thinking we'd bring a baby into a dirty house.

- Vacuum the kitchen and living room 3 times in one day. (Adam kept tracking sawdust in as he was working on projects for the baby's room.) Crazy Lady's thinking: The house must be kept clean at ALL times. Labor could begin at ANY moment.


Those are a few of the examples of why I'm done with pregnancy. It's time to move on and start a new life of diapers, bottles, and long nights! Little Miss Tolman has been VERY active lately so I'm hoping that means she's done too. She must be wanting to stretch her legs by now, right?

Come on little lady, you can make your appearance any day now!

5 comments:

  1. Jen I loved these stories it was definitely a highlight of my day. Um cleaning the inside of the dog kennel to clean it with Pine-Sol I will never let you forget that, it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is great!!! Wow those take the cake for some of the craziest things people say and then crazy things that the woman who has taken over your body has done. Too funny! I love your honesty and willingness to share.

    Loved the pictures too, thanks for updating. I wish I could see you in person, but I can't wait to meet baby Tolman in December!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomorrow would be a good day ;) Auntie E would like that!

    Thank you for the great post. When I picture you in all of these situations I can't help but giggle!!

    Love you Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is by far one of my favorite posts so far! Very genuine, hilarious and most importantly the most "Jen" post yet! I cannot believe some people and what they say! Cannot wait to see her - feels like waiting to open presents at christmas these last few days!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... This is AWESOME! I think I just lost 5 pounds laughing and my smile hurts! The radio station I listed to has a DJ that had a baby 14 months ago and she spoke of the crazy lady inside her. She had a name, don't remember it. But she spoke vividly of her like it was someone living in her home. HYSTERICAL! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete